Monday, July 24, 2006

MMORPGs

What is an MMORPG? It stands for Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. That means that you are a character in a large environment, interacting with hundreds and thousands of other people from around the world in a virtual universe. They're a bit addictive, but lots of fun. There's MMOs that fit just about any niche or genre that you may enjoy, from fantasy, to science fiction. There's even sports MMOs out there. With that in mind, I'm going to post a list of MMOs that I have, or do, play. (Hopefully I don't forget any :D)

In order of when I first played:

Earth and Beyond
Final Fantasy XI
Ultimate Baseball Online
Legend of the Green Dragon (not quite an MMO really, but I'll list it anyways)
Asheron's Call
Gunz
OGame

E&B was a sci-fi game, with spaceships and such flying about the solar system and the galasxy. It has been defunct now for a couple years.

Final Fantasy XI is the online game of the Final Fantasy series. If you like MMOs and you like Final Fantasy, it's a pretty good bet that you'll enjoy this game.

Ultimate Baseball Online is... an online baseball game. It's in beta. Being a pioneer in the MMO field as the first sports MMO, it's beta has been very long, and still has bugs being worked on, but... it's fun.

Legend of the Green Dragon is an online text based game. I've played it through the DDZ website.

Asheron's Call is a rather old MMO. I tried it late last year, but... having played FFXI, it just didn't do it for me with it's extreme oldness, and really, just not being as good all the way around IMO. Of course, I generated this opinion by playing just a few days, but, that was enough for me.

Gunz is an online FPS (First Person Shooter), with a bit of a twist. The use of a katana, and special moves makes this a unique blend of dashing action, with gun toting warriors diving accross vast distances, shooting at blade wielding samurais flying through the air.

Ogame is a web browser based, sci-fi strategy game.

Currently, I'm playing JumpGate, under the name Mophia. I also play Ogame in galaxy 4, under the name Istanbul.

So, what games have and do you play?

TTF

~Moph

(Links finally added!)

2 comments:

Mophia said...

oh yes, i'll linkify this post when i have time tomorrow. Also, when I get a permanent job that pays my bills, I'll be back in FFXI as well, on the Unicorn server, usually as Mophia.

Anniina said...

yeah I'll be back on FFXI as soon as my bloody basement dries. Must do it soon though, too - think I'm almost up to my 3 month mark. eeeek!