Friday, April 21, 2006

The Weather

I was inspired to compare the weather of Wisconsin and Finland by a dear friend of mine. Very dear. So deer that she almost has antlers... huh? Sorry, wrong dear for a second there.

My preliminary research seemed to indicate that Finland has a longer winter by about two weeks on average, while also being a couple degrees colder. Finland actually seems rather comparable to the most northern parts of Wisconsin. Finland would probably be much colder than Wisconsin based on latitude, but has the advantage of being right off of an ocean and a sea, whereas Wisconsin has only an extremely large lake (which would probably qualify as a sea if it wasn't a lake, and a really large lake. Also, Wisconsin's great bodies of water are on the opposite side of the state from the prevailing wind, so they don't have quite so much affect, except for right along the coast.

I'll put together some 'hard' data in an easy to read form a little bit later. Those meterological websites aren't quite as easy to read as they think they are.

Philip®M

3 comments:

Anniina said...

Okay, so you totally need to read Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" - a huge chunk of it takes place in Wisconsin, and I kept thinking about you. *mwah* A

Mophia said...

i still need to read a comedy of errors, which i recently purchased, and looks extremely hilarious in the first 4 pages ^^

Anniina said...

Really, I don't like that one much - too much going on. Not that I dislike it, just not among my favorites. Tell me how you like it though, would love to hear :)