Monday, June 19, 2006

Game Recap III

Tonight, I played my first game in my career, in center field. A bit scary, since I don't have the greatest range, but, I'm a solid fielder. Only one ball came out to me, a solid line drive base hit, that I picked up and got back into the infield quickly. So I did fine.

We were up against a tough pitcher, who had a really high arc, and could land strikes quite regularly. My first ab, I hit a hard one hopper to the second baseman, who went to 2b for a force on the runner, but I hustled and got to first before the throw to keep out of a double play. Then a couple guys got out. My next ab, in the 3rd inning, I hit a liner over the first baseman's head (he nearly had a webgem, leaping grab on it, but it glanced off the top of his glove) for another base hit. Again, the side was retired. Then in the fifth, I got a pitch that I could pull, and hit a hard groundball past the third baseman down the line for another basehit. Again... the side was retired by the other teams good defense and pitching. Now don't get me wrong, we'd been getting hits and scoring runs here and there, just nothing out of the bottom half of the order pretty much (the guys after me, I batted 4th for the second game in a row). So, we got into the bottom of the seventh, with the game tied at 7-7. The leadoff hitter got out, but the #2 guy, hit a nice double. One of our great hitters, who had hit an inside-the-park-home-run in his previous at bat, unfortunately flew out to the centerfielder, but to shallow to let the runner advance at all. So, I was up, with two outs... I swung and missed at the first pitch, which was a bit short. Then the pitcher lofted one up, waaaay short, no way I was gonna swing at that. So, with the count 1-1, he let the pitch fly. It was coming down towards the outside and front part of the plate, my happy zone. I hit a hard shot past the second baseman, and got the walkoff victory! (I kept on running to second on the play to give myself credit for a double ~.^) So, I had another 4/4 day, with the one, important RBI :D

That's all folks. I promise my next post won't be about baseball. Ya just gotta give me a bit of a break, since it IS in the middle of the season.

-Mophia

No comments: